FC Barcelona has filed a formal complaint to UEFA over refereeing and a lack of VAR intervention in their 2-0 Champions League loss to Atletico Madrid.
The complaint focuses on a 54th-minute incident where a potential handball penalty against Atletico defender Marc Pubill was not given or reviewed by VAR.
Barcelona is demanding a full investigation, access to referee audio, and official acknowledgment of any errors to ensure accountability for the match's officiating.

Atlas AI
FC Barcelona has filed a formal complaint with UEFA over what it described as a “grave lack of VAR intervention” in its Champions League quarter-final first-leg defeat to Atletico Madrid. The club said it submitted the complaint on Thursday, escalating its objections from routine post-match criticism into an official dispute process. Barcelona’s statement argued that decisions made during the match affected how the game unfolded and influenced the final result.
The complaint focuses on a single incident in the 54th minute. Barcelona said Atletico defender Marc Pubill appeared to handle the ball inside the penalty area, an action that could have led to a penalty kick. Barcelona noted that Pubill had already been shown a yellow card at the time of the episode.
According to Barcelona’s account, the moment came shortly after Atletico goalkeeper Juan Musso seemed to have restarted play with a goal kick. Barcelona players appealed immediately, but referee Istvan Kovacs allowed play to continue. The club’s central criticism is that VAR official Christian Dingert did not trigger a review, which Barcelona called a “major error.”
In its communication to UEFA, Barcelona set out several requests aimed at transparency and accountability. The club asked UEFA to open a formal investigation into the officiating performance in the match. It also requested access to the audio communications between the on-field referee and the VAR team, saying this would clarify how the decision was reached and why the incident was not reviewed.
Barcelona said the push is being led by coach Hansi Flick, and it wants UEFA to issue an official acknowledgment if mistakes are confirmed. The club also referred to the “adoption of the relevant measures,” language that suggests it is seeking either procedural adjustments or accountability steps designed to reduce the risk of similar controversies in future matches.
The dispute lands in a high-stakes phase of Europe’s top club competition, where officiating decisions can carry significant sporting and commercial consequences. Barcelona’s move also highlights how VAR-related disputes can extend beyond the pitch into formal governance channels, potentially shaping how clubs seek recourse when they believe key incidents were mishandled.
UEFA has not been described here as having responded, and the outcome of the complaint remains uncertain. Barcelona said the case will be closely watched, with attention on whether UEFA’s handling of the request influences broader debate about the consistency and transparency of VAR use in the Champions League.
Related Articles

Azmoun reaffirms loyalty to Iran after 2026 World Cup omission
21 May, 10:50·about 1 hour ago
Mohamed Salah to captain Egypt as Hossam Hassan names 27-player World Cup squad
21 May, 09:47·about 2 hours ago